"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Girl of the Day - Jean Seberg

Jean Seberg Photographic Print


Born today in 1938, Jean Seberg was a very lovely actress from the 1960s who starred in a very odd movie that for some reason has stuck in my memory, Paint Your Wagon, a Western musical starring, oddly enough, Lee Marvin and a young Clint Eastwood.   Eastwood singing is one of the most dissonant (culturally, not musically... he actually sings OK and is a fine musician) things I have ever seen or heard.   Imagine John Wayne in drag doing La Cage Aux Folles.

Seberg is an interesting figure.    An Iowa girl, she became best known as the star of French New Wave films, in particular the great Breathless directed by FrancJean Luc Godard (1960).   She also managed to become the target of an FBI counterintelligence probe in the 1960s, which some say led to her blacklisting and drove her into serious depression. 

Sadly, Miss Seberg committed suicide at age 40.  

No comments:

Post a Comment