"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Anti-Science Liberals

Steven Hayward at Powerline makes a very interesting point:

Conservatives are said to be “anti-science,” though one ought to pause once and a while and ponder where the opposition to vaccines and genetically modified organisms comes from. A belief in a literal six-day creation 6,000 years ago harms no one; urging parents not to vaccinate their children, as prominent liberals and celebrities have done, leads to unnecessary death and disease.

I'd go much further than this.   I have never actually met a practicing conservative Christian who believes in "a literal six-day creation 6,000 years ago."  Perhaps they exist, but I've never met one.   To me it's not just a stereotype... it's a fantasy straw man of the left.   But during my adult lifetime the American left has opposed an extraordinary range of scientific or engineering advances, essentially on emotional or romantic grounds:

  • Nuclear power
  • Fracking
  • Pesticides
  • Genetically engineered fruits and vegetables
  • Genetically engineered cattle
  • Vaccines

Liberals are the Luddites of the 21st Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment