If you had told me before the year started that the Cardinals would be looking at winning 2 out of 3 from the last-place Cubs in the last series of the year to finish 96-66 and win the division, and if you had told me:
- Chris Carpenter won't pitch an inning.
- Jason Motte won't pitch and inning.
- Mitchell Boggs will pitch terribly for a month, be sent down, and then traded.
- Jaime Garcia will get 9 starts, then be out for the year for shoulder surgery.
- The Cardinals bullpen by the end of the season will feature four rookies in the highest leverage situations (Rosenthal, Siegrist, Maness, Martinez).
- Rafael Furcal will be hurt and Pete Kozma will be the starting shortstop for most of the year.
- Matt Carpenter will be the starting second baseman all year.
- At various times Matt Holliday, Yadier Molina, Allen Craig, Matt Adams, David Freese, and Tony Cruz will all spend time on the DL...
So... it's about 7:15... let's go get us a pennant!