"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Nancy Pelosi Does Not Like Stimulus

Believe me, I hate using the words "Nancy Pelosi" and "stimulus" in the same sentence.   It sends a shudder down my spine.   Revulsion.   But Pelosi is apparently indulging in the Orwellian practice of calling war peace, black white, good evil.   She's now trying to find a different word for "stimulus" (what the President will be proposing on Thursday when he speaks to Congress and hawks another "jobs program" filled with goodies for unions and "shovel ready" make-work schemes).   Apparently "stimulus" doesn't poll too well anymore, not after Obama blew $1 trillion on the last one and unemployment went up, not down.

Anyway, I was looking up the word "stimulus" to try to help her out, and I happened across an economics website that contained the following quote from Henry Morgenthau, FDR's Treasury Secretary, from 1940, eight years into the New Deal:

“We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and now if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosper. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started. And enormous debt to boot.”
Nothing ever changes.    It didn't work then; it won't work now.   The only thing that will happen is government will get bigger, and more tax dollars will flow to constituencies of the Democratic Party.  

No comments:

Post a Comment