"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Girl of the Day - More Tennis Skirts, Please! (Venus and Serena Williams)

I find it fascinating, that at a time when American tennis is terrible (other than the Williams sisters, there are no American women in the Top 30 in the world, and no American woman other that the Williams sisters has won a Grand Slam tournament since Jennifer Capriati in 2002), Serena and Venus Williams, sisters and African-Americans, have won 20 Grand Slam titles between them (13 for Serena, 7 for Venus).   Eschewing tennis "academies," they grew up in Compton, CA, with their dad as their coach.   Amazing!   And, of course, the most amazing thing is that they both made it to the very top in their sport.   I can't remember another pair of sisters or brothers who have done so in any sport.   Peyton and Eli Manning come close; so did Tony and Phil Esposito, going back aways.   But tennis is an individual sport... the Williams sisters' accomplishment would be the equivalent of Tiger Woods and, oh, Phil Mickelson, if Phil Mickelson were Tiger's long-lost white brother and if Phil had won 3-4 more majors.



No comments:

Post a Comment