"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Girl of the Day - Jennifer Carpenter

Dexter has been a little bit disappointing this season.   How exactly does Dexter walk around doing what he does and never get seen?  And why don't people ever notice that he's never at work and never at home?   And why doesn't his picture get identified by witnesses as a man who's been prowling about in a murder shirt and latex gloves?   As the poets say, poetry requires the "willing suspension of disbelief," but Dexter this year has required a little bit too much of that.

It's been a great year, though, for the character of Dexter's sister, Debra Morgan, as she becomes the lieutenant in charge of Miami Metro Homicide, deals with her emotions after a shooting incident, deals with the breakup of her relationship with Quinn, etc.   Jennifer Carpenter has been great in the role this year, and is maybe the best reason to still watch the show.   (Otherwise, sad to say, it's jumping the shark for me.)

It's also her birthday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment